Sunday, April 11, 2021

AtoZ of Animals I have met: “‘I’ is for Imp of the Devil” #AtoZBloggingChallenge#

When I was a fairly little girl, my maternal Grandfather (Gramps) bought my maternal Grandmother (Grammy) a silver toy poodle. I spent so many weekends with them that Beau Maurice became one of my best friends ever. And you’re probably wondering what a silver toy poodle named Beau Maurice (where did she get that name? She was English) has to do with an imp of the Devil.

It’s a good question. I would also like to know the answer to that one, to tell the truth. He was the sweetest little guy; I just loved him to death. He did tend to leave to his toys all over the house in the most unexpected places. And his howls were almost as shrill as the sirens of the firetrucks that he howled with as they screamed past my Grandparents’ house. Or maybe it was because he would jump onto the back of the sofa under the window so he could hear them better and be more in tune with
his howls.

I don’t know. I really don’t. All I know is, that that is what she called him.

Something else I know is that when we would call Grammy, she would say, “Where’s Mickie?” and he would run and jump onto the back of the couch, with his whole back half wagging (I knew, because I’d seen him doing it before.) Then she would tell him, “She’s on the phone” and he would come and lick the phone. And when I said, “Hi Beau, I love you”, he would give soft little yips in reply.

And when I stayed at their house, he always knew I was coming, because he would be sitting in that usual spot watching for the car to arrive, and then he would come greet me at the door with a flurry of yips and jumps that any gymnast would envy. Yep, he was my best friend.

He lived to a very old age and was Grammy’s companion for several years after Gramps died. She obtained another that looked almost just like him, but it was never quite the same and when the second died, she never got another. There was only one Beau Maurice, the little Imp of the devil, and I’m so glad I got to be his friend.

The silver toy poodle here on the right has the same caring look Beau had, but he was immaculately groomed, at least once a month.

 

 

 

Copyright © 11 April 2021. Mary E. Purpari. All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, he was just the sweetest little guy. I don't usually like small dogs, but he had none of that usual small dog attitude. He was my pal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story. Pets are just so special. I'm glad you had him.

    ReplyDelete

I would really love to read your thoughts, so leave a comment so we can all converse. Thanks.